The Capitol Theatre, ca. 1940


This file appears in: Capitol Theatre
The Capitol Theatre, ca. 1940

The Capitol Theatre was developed and constructed as part of the Gordon Square Arcade in 1920-1921. This building, which cost $1,500,000 and took up an entire city block, housed the commercial and recreational needs of what is now the Detroit Shoreway neighborhood.

The name of the theater was chosen as part of an opening promotion by the West Side Amusement Co. and the Allen Bros. Picked for the dignity carried by the name and the belief that the theater would be one of Cleveland's prominent vaudeville and film houses, Walter J. Bornitzke's submission of "The Capitol" won him a twenty-five dollar check.

Photograph courtesy of Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization


This file appears in: Capitol Theatre