Rebecca Gratz, 1935


This file appears in: Hebrew Cultural Garden
Rebecca Gratz, 1935

This bronze plaque inserted into a boulder on the north side of the Hebrew Garden honors Rebecca Grtaz (1781-1869). The Gan Ivri (Hebrew Garden) League donated the plaque in 1932.

In 1801, Gratz founded a nonsectarian support society in Philadelphia for women and families suffering from the after effects of the Revolutionary War. She is also credited with founding the first Jewish Sunday school and a Jewish orphanage in Philadelphia.

Image courtesy of Cleveland State Library Special Collections


This file appears in: Hebrew Cultural Garden