The founder


This file appears in: St. Mark's Episcopal Church
The founder

Rev. Lewis Burton (1815-1894) founded the St. Mark's Episcopal parish, which began in 1870 as a mission of historic St. John's Episcopal Church on Church Avenue. In the same year, he also founded a mission on the south side of Cleveland that eventually became All Saints Episcopal parish. While these future parishes were being seeded, Burton served as the rector of St. John's, an office he held from 1847 until 1871. This photo of Rev. Burton is undated.


This file appears in: St. Mark's Episcopal Church