James M. Coffinberry (1818-1891)


This file appears in: Henry Coffinberry House
James M. Coffinberry (1818-1891)

A legendary judge, long-time resident of Franklin Boulevard and the father of Henry Coffinberry , James Coffinberry came to Cleveland in 1855, purchasing and residing in a house on Franklin Boulevard that was located where the former West Side Masonic Temple building stands today. He was elected a judge of the Cuyahoga Common Pleas Court in 1861, serving in that office until 1866. In 1875, Judge Coffinberry and his wife moved into a new house on the south side of Franklin Boulevard--also no longer standing--located on the corner of West 31st Place. He lived there until his death in 1891. This photo was taken in 1887.


This file appears in: Henry Coffinberry House