Commodore Perry Statue by Walcutt


This file appears in: Oliver Hazard Perry Monument
Commodore Perry Statue by Walcutt

Walcutt's monument to Perry was erected in the center of Public Square in 1860 but moved in 1878 to the southeast quadrant. As it turned out, the move may have saved Perry from standing in the center of a future traffic jam, but the new location placed the monument in the way of the chosen site for the new monument to veterans of the Civil War from Cuyahoga County. The two figures flanking Perry depict and midshipman and a cabin boy.


This file appears in: Oliver Hazard Perry Monument