Shaw High School in East Cleveland opened in 1838 thanks to a donation made by Sarah Shaw after the death of her husband John. Since they had no children, she decided to give back to her rural community by donating some of the family's farmland for use as a school yard. Since then, Shaw High School has taken a number of physical forms, but it continues to be located on the Shaw's old farmland along upper Euclid Avenue.
Shaw Stadium - a half-mile northwest of Shaw High - was built in 1923 and served as the home of the National Football League's Cleveland Rams (the city's first professional football team) in 1938. Spectators at football games there today are sure not to miss a performance from Shaw High School's world renowned marching band. In 2008, the band made headlines after traveling to China to perform at ceremonies for the Beijing Summer Olympics.
Cite this Page:
“Shaw High School,” Cleveland Historical, accessed August 3, 2015, http://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/84.