Dean Dairy

Description

At 35 years old, Orville A. Dean first started selling milk to friends and acquaintances. In 1886, he built a large farmhouse on Mayfield Road, which served as his family home and the office for the OA Dean Dairy Company for seventy-one years. In the early years, milk was delivered by horse-drawn wagons. The delivery men dipped large ladles into the 10 gallon cans, and then poured the milk into each housewife's pitcher.

In 1920, Harry N. Dean took over the company from his father. By then, Dean's had grown to eight retail outlets and one wholesale store, with new machinery and equipment. During these years, the Dean's Dairy's many fine horses were displayed at shows and fairs throughout the area. The World War II years were difficult, with food rationing and drivers leaving for the war, but luckily for Dean's, dairy products remained in demand. Grove P. Dean, grandson of Orville, originally moved east to try his hand in other businesses, but was drawn back to home. Under his guidance, Dean's converted most of the wagons from horse drawn to automotive, although some horses were still used. Rubber tires were added to these "very modern units" to cut down on noise during early morning deliveries.

Wilburt McCarthy, who retired in 1975 after 40 years as a Dean's milkman, remembered delivering "to the home every day then, seven days a week. We'd go out and load up the wagons at two or three o'clock in the morning and we'd put in our 10 to 12-hour work day. The pay wasn't much for a milkman." "Dean's had the best chocolate milk, barring anyplace," remembered milkman McCarty. "It was really out of this world. In the summertime, we serviced a lot of house painters. And we'd sell off the truck to those fellows all the time, buttermilk and chocolate milk."

Cleveland Heights mayor Ed Kelley worked for Dean's Dairy in the early 1970s, following in the footsteps of his grandfather, milkman William Rapp, his uncle, father and brother. Mr. Kelley filled 500 sacks of ice for the milk trucks each day. Since the trucks were not refrigerated, the milkmen used the sacks to keep the dairy products cool during deliveries. Mr. Kelly worked during the summers and after school in the early fall, until the temperature dropped. He also worked as a weekend night watchman, listening to Casey Kasem's Top 40 on the radio. His favorite memories of working at Dean's were the wonderful stories the drivers shared with him. "The drivers were very kind to me," Kelly remembered, "and they encouraged me to stay in school and go on to college." Dean's was "a great place to work," although going from the hot summer weather outside to the cold air of the cooler could be a shock.

Two other dairy companies operated in Cleveland Heights as well. Hillside was started in 1932 and located on Center Road, near Noble and Mayfield. Many people remember the wonderful tours of Hillside Dairy and their delicious lunch counter. Hillside is also remembered for having one of the first female milk drivers. In one month, they had 18 drivers called up for service in World War II, so they hired the "first feminine milk-carrier, six feet, 170 pounds." Bruder's dairy opened in the early 1900s. One of Bruder's busiest retail stores was located in what is now Seitz-Agin Hardware on Lee Road.

Innovations in refrigeration and the proliferation of convenience stores and supermarkets in the 1970s signaled the end of small dairies that specialized in home delivery. People no longer wanted the more expensive, home-delivered milk products. Even so, many Cleveland Heights residents still hold fond memories of the milk trucks making their regular deliveries throughout the community.

Text by Mazie Adams, courtesy of the Cleveland Heights Historical Society

Video Show

Horse-Drawn Milk Delivery

Betty Calhoun remembers the horse-drawn wagons that used to deliver milk for Dean Dairy.

Photos Show

Dean Dairy, Circa 1900

Orville A. Dean bult this farmhouse and its adjoining buildings at 3151 Mayfield Road in 1886 to house the OA Dean Dairy Co. By 1920, the house had been moved down the road to 3211 Mayfield Road, where it stood until being demolished to make way for a modern dairy complex in the years following World War II. These newer buildings still remain and are now occupied by a U-Haul rental facility.

Image courtesy of Cleveland Heights Historical Society

75th Anniversary, 1959

Dean Dairy celebrated its 75th anniversary in 1959. This photograph shows the company's dairy complex at 3211 Mayfield Road, where a U-Haul rental facility is now located.

Image courtesy of Cleveland Heights Historical Society

Price List, 1932

This retail price list from 1932 shows the prices of the products that Dean Dairy offered to consumers at this time.

Image courtesy of Cleveland Heights Historical Society

Horse-Drawn Delivery, 1934

A horse-drawn milk delivery wagon sits in front of the Dean Dairy headquarters during the company's 50th anniversary in 1934. Horse-drawn wagons had provided home delivery to Dean's customers since its earliest years, though the horses were eventually phased out and replaced by automobiles in the years following World War II.

Image courtesy of Cleveland Heights Historical Society

Dean Milk Bottle

This photograph shows a one-pint glass bottle used by the Dean Dairy. In the days of home delivery, empty milk bottles would be left out for pick-up by the milkman, who would then return them to the dairy so they could be washed and reused.

Image courtesy of Cleveland Heights Historical Society

Milk Maids, 1959

Young women dress up as "milk maids" as part of Dean Dairy's 75th anniversary celebration in 1959.

Image courtesy of Cleveland Heights Historical Society

Milk Truck, Circa 1959

Automobiles had completely replaced horse-drawn milk wagons by the time this photograph was taken in the late 1950s.

Image courtesy of Cleveland Heights Historical Society

Cite this Page

Michael Rotman, “Dean Dairy,” Cleveland Historical, accessed October 25, 2014, http:/​/​clevelandhistorical.​org/​items/​show/​200.​
View a random Story
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Page