DescriptionCleveland Heights High School, commonly known simply as "Heights," originated in 1901 on the site of the present-day Boulevard Elementary School, near the intersection of Lee Road and Euclid Heights Boulevard. Its first graduating class in 1907 numbered just five students. The compact Lee Road School soon became too small for the growing student body of Heights High, though, and a new Heights High School, designed by Walker & Weeks, opened in 1916. It too was soon deemed inadequate.
The current Cleveland Heights High School at Cedar and Lee Roads was constructed in 1926. It was built to resemble a Tudor castle and featured a clock tower and high columns framing a grand main entrance. Architects and school officials tried to make sure that the new high school would be large enough to accommodate the ever-growing district's needs. Indeed, a headline from a few months before the school's opening declared, "New Heights High Dwarfs Old One." The same article commented on the school's "mammoth stage" and marveled at the fact that "wires for a radio have been put in every room with a central apparatus in the office to relay outside programs." When it opened, the school was called "one of the most beautiful and commodious school edifices in Greater Cleveland."
Nonetheless, expansions to Heights High over the years have been necessary to accommodate a student body that at one time approached 3,000. Perhaps the most noticeable of these occurred in the 1960s when a new wing added along Cedar Road closed off the front of the school, creating an interior courtyard.
Heights High has always been known for its excellent academics, particularly in its music and drama departments. Some of the methods of education have recently changed at the school though. In 2004, Heights became a pilot school for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation small schools movement, dividing the one big school into five small schools based on different learning styles and areas of focus.