St. Augustine Parish formed in 1860 out of Ohio City's St. Patrick's Parish, one of the oldest Catholic parishes in the city. The need for a new parish in Tremont arose as people of Irish descent began moving into the neighborhood. In 1896, the Cleveland Catholic Diocese purchased the old Pilgrim Congregational Church (whose congregation had recently moved into a new building further down West 14th Street) to serve as the home for the growing St. Augustine Parish. This church was built in the 1860s in Victorian Gothic style and replaced St. Augustine's old frame church at Tremont Street and Jefferson Avenue.
To meet the needs of the neighborhood's changing demographics, St. Augustine began offering Spanish-language services in the 1970s . In addition, the parish, having lost many congregants to suburbanization in the decades following World War II, has dedicated itself to aiding the homeless and people with disabilities.
Cite this Page:
Michael Rotman, “St. Augustine Church,” Cleveland Historical, accessed April 2, 2015, http://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/103.