Polish immigrants began settling in Tremont in the 1880s and 1890s, finding work in the booming steel mills nearby. They formed the last of three major Polish settlements in Cleveland, and the only one located on the west side. The area became known to Poles as Kantowo after the founding of St. John Cantius Catholic Church in Tremont in 1898. The parish's first services were held in an old streetcar barn at Professor Street and College Avenue.
In 1926, St. John Cantius dedicated its new church on Professor Street, which remains active today despite the suburbanization that spelled the end of Kantowo in the decades following World War II. Other landmarks of the Polish community in Tremont remain, like the Polish Library Home and the Polish Daily News building, but have long since closed. One can still enjoy a hearty Polish meal at Sokolowski's University Inn, however, even if freeway construction has isolated the nearly 80 year old restaurant from the rest of the neighborhood.